Studebaker Project

OK, going to tidy up a few items here.  Left off of the roof, and moved on to working on the wood bed.  Figured we better do this before winter weather set in.  All of the cutting and planing had to be done outside.
I think I said somewhere else I decided to use the original dash.  Here it is all blasted and primed.

 Found a nice day got Dad's table saw out and squared up all the oak boards;



We knew the sides of the beds needed squared up a bit, tried to stand it up to work on it, but the lazy way didn't work


We knew we wanted the gas filler located in the center of the widest board, so here we are laying them out for fit.



With everything squared up, and the wood bed test fitted, it's time to get to work making this bed look good.  This old bed's saw a lot of years.


 I decided I wanted the inner fenders to have a smooth finish, so I got some fiberglass cloth and resin, and filled in the low spots


I thought I had a pic of this posted previously.  What this is, is the 'original' way I intended to re-do the dash.  It first had a totally flat face, and I had planned on covering it in oak.  I decided to go another way


.
Here you can see the piece I fitted and welded in to give it the original look.

Here is the rest of the dash panels.  I plan on using them also (especially the ones with any type of Studebaker insignia on them)














Here is the modified dash from the top.  I duplicated the original 'edge' that goes against the windshield.  You can see the cut outs for the defroster vents, and shrew holes that hold in the dash.  You can also see where I have it marked with a "L" in a couple spots that needs a little filler to make it perfectly smooth.

 Here is where I left on on the roof.  It's been lightly painted to use as a 'paint guide' 


Then we cut all the grooves in the sides of the boards that the chrome strips fit into;




So we laid it down on the floor, and used two big steel I beams, a couple floor jacks and a 7 gauge steel box.  Cut the center braces


Starting in the center and working outwards we drilled holes and mounted each board to the bed bracing.  We made sure each
 

If you look close you'll see a stack of bricks at the end, and a 6 foot level across the bed.  I used this as a gauge to show what was low and what was high


After sanding it down, I sprayed on the paint to show the low spots and then filled those in with fiberglass filler.  Need to sand that off yet


These old Studebaker dashes are just to pretty NOT to use.  Also it keeps some of the originality of the old girl.  It will need a few modifications since I plan on putting in new modern gauges
 

Got a REALLY nice day in the middle of winter to slip out and do a little sandblasting

I needed to do a little blasting on the bed.  PROBLEM how do you move something like this by YOURSELF.  Check out the two truck dollies.  I put one under the far end, and one on the closest end. (notice I used a block to keep the dolly weighted down).  Then I just easily drug the bed outside;  did what I needed to do; moved the block to the far dolly, and drug it back in.  Easy easy..


Above I had a pic where I first started working on making the bed straight, here it is almost totally completed.  Next I plan on mounting my fenders; then having a buddy come and help me order my wheels.  I have NO idea how to figure out what back spacing, etc I'd need.

 Then I sanded it so I could see the small low spots that still showed paint, that needed filled.


This is the boards cut and laid out how I want them installed, should look good when they are finished


loose, pulled it all in line, and welded them back.  Straight as a string up and down and crosswise also.  On to test fitting wood. 


bolt would slide easily into each hole so as to go in without trouble after the boards are sealed and truck is painted.

Cold weather is setting in here.  We use the 55 gallon drum we fashioned into a wood stove to keep warm.  I can make it 85* in the garage to dry the bondo easy.


Since it's cold, and it takes the filler longer to dry, I can't sand the day after I fill.  This is just starting the outside of the bed.



Due to putting a Hot Rod air A/C system, I had to extend the dash out a couple inches for clearance  You can see there the metal has the paint off of it is the 'original' end of the dash.  I'll have to add a piece



I blasted the area around the original gauges.  Then welded in this piece.  Ready to fill it in now.

I failed to mention that when I welded the piece in; I put it behind the opening (saved having to work so hard to smooth the metal)  Then I filled in the spot with fiberglass filler - should make it perfectly smooth when done.  Probably can't see it but I marked a couple places that still need a little filler.
Make a Free Website with Yola.